Monday, October 8, 2012

No Self Pity Here

Last Monday, I was having a hard time with my emotions lining up with reality. I was feeling like God was withholding some good thing from me, yet there was nothing in my circumstances of that day (or even of this season of life) to confirm that reality. I was just feeling "blah" and felt like I could make a long list of complaints. I had a phone appointment set up with my older sister for later in the day and I was thinking about the things I was going to complain about, but then realized that was not the type of conversation I wanted to have. It suddenly dawned on me that the way I was feeling and viewing life was consistently negative and I needed it to change. My sister has always done a great job at receiving me where I am, but I was starting to feel a bit embarrassed by the incongruity of my reality and my view of life. I knew I needed to get with God on this. So during the kids afternoon naps I set aside the time to process this with the Lord. I asked Jesus to come into this with me and He did! It was amazing. I became aware that I was partnering with self-pity and I needed to give up that partnership and replace the self-pity with thankfulness and empowerment. I realized that for me to live in a posture of self-pity makes me feel powerless, a victim of my circumstances. And that simply is not true. I get to chose how I will handle this life and I can live from a place of empowerment!

1 comment:

lil said...

Thanks for sharing, Nicolette!! I have gone thru that SO many times, and what I HATE is that I start 'blaming' those closest to me for things I can't control!! It's so miniscule when you can step back and see things objectively!!
Praise the Lord there is a way out with Him in control!!
Blessings to you and the fam. Miss seeing you at church. :(