Sunday, May 27, 2012

Throwing Away the Map

We have been in Redding now for about 6 weeks. So what I call "phase 1" of the move is mostly done. Just a few more boxes to unpack, which I hope to get to this week. With that, I consider myself to be in "phase 2" of the move which is discovering the new normals in the day to days of life. When we were in Cimarron, so far from town, I had to plan out everything. Food for the week, play dates, errands, etc. And now here I am in a city and I don't have to plan everything out like I used to. I actually can just do my grocery shopping based on the sales. However, that in itself is a mind shift for me. I just got so used to planning a menu for the week- all 3 meals of the day. Since I don't have to do it that way anymore I sense God is wanting me to tune in to Him in new ways. Instead of approaching my week with a "map" I think I just need to be more flexible, listening to His voice along the way. I can wake up in the morning and if the kids are asking to go to the park, I can take them. If they are asking to go the Library, I can take them. However, I am finding that we still just stay home a lot, but this is okay with me. On Friday I had such a strong impression ALL day long that I just need to embrace the season that I am in with 3 little ones, for it is only a season. It is actually a luxury that all I have to do is take care of my kiddos. To be a wife and mom is what God has called me to and it is my MAIN focus right now. Of course, there are the days that I want to get out, when get a little bored of being at home, but soon enough my kids will be school age and in activities and I think I will look back on this season as being the "good old days." I am finding there is a new level of joy in motherhood when I can throw away the map and just say to myself "What should we do today and how can we be a blessing?" I think God wants me to tune in to His voice, so that I can bless others in my day. It may be a phone call, it may be praying for the mailman (as he delivers mail in the box on my screen door- that is Awesome!), it may be emailing someone an encouraging word, or just playing with my kids. Whatever it is, I want to be ready to do it. Other things to celebrate: Todd got a job at Sherwin Williams. It is close to home so he can just ride his bike. He also got on with the facilities dept at church for an on-call position. And he has an interview with Parks & Rec this week for coaching. This is all really great because all of these jobs are part-time and we are hoping he can work a lot this summer since he will be back to part time only once school starts. A fun blessing of where we live is that we are close enough to walk to Safeway, which has a Starbucks! We also have a Jr. High school right down our street that has an awesome track and tennis courts. The kids think the track is really cool. Todd is grateful for the tennis. I just think it's really cool because Todd now gets to play tennis on a regular basis and that was a desire for the past year. It's like God just threw that in because He could. I love it when God does things like that. Lastly, Annabelle is potty trained!! WoHoo!! Only 1 in diapers now :-)

1 comment:

Leona said...

I completely understand you about the season we are in right now with our little ones... I needed that reminder, thank you! And congrats for potty training :) How old is she?